Monday, May 24, 2010

Chapter 72

Some cynics argue the only way belief can be established is by saying “seeing is believing.” Obviously this thinking is insufficient because there is a great deal in which we claim to know and yet have never seen. Many examples can prove that senses are deceptive, and it is wiser to not trust entirely any one thing by which we have once been deceived.

It may be well to confess that there is nothing in all that I formerly believed to be true, of which I cannot in some measure doubt occasionally from time to time for significant reasons which are credibly persuasive and quite compelling. Keeping that in mind, I would like to henceforth carefully refrain from granting too much weight to opinions other than those which are manifestly false if I wish to arrive at any new certainties. To live is to grow.

I do seek balance; but at present, I cannot yield too much to self-distrust without weakening my resolve. I would like to blend my former prejudices with my new opinions in some way without diverting my final and formal judgments away from the right knowledge of truth. No matter what though, I do recognize that my conceptions and understandings will always fall exceedingly short of the vast extent of spiritual reality, but I shall yet have cause enough to glorify God for that proportion and degree of knowledge that he has imparted on me, limited as it may be. God is great, I am small, I may not understand, but I love nonetheless.

Here is a little random brain candy: Is it possible to be doubtful and at the same time believe in something highly probable? What if there is a lot more reason to believe in something than deny it? Is it wrong to pretend to believe in something before you actually do? I will not offer answers to these arbitrary questions, but I ask my readers to ponder them.

No comments:

Post a Comment